Sunday, July 6, 2014

My Different Species of Orchids


For about 6 years I have been growing and learning about Orchids. I am by far no expert, but I do have some personal experience in raising them in less then perfect conditions. I recently moved out to Arizona about a year ago. Since then I have suffered some losses with my original Orchid collection. As you can imagine I was devastated to run into issues such as Black Rot, Bud Blast and Fungus. Most of these issues due to trial and error with plant placement and outside conditions. Luckily for me I have worked out all the kinks trying to grow these hardy but needy plants in the Desert. Some of my favorite are: 

Boat Orchid 

 (Cymbidium Orchid)


My Favorite Orchid. I got this one from a Base Exchange around February time frame. It has produced some wonderful flowers for me. The pot is from a local flea market that they have in the area.

Moth Orchid

(Phalaenopsis Orchid)

This is probably the most common type of Orchid. Also called just add ice orchids  (which I hope to god you do not put ice in your orchids). You can find them at your local grocery store and they come in a variety of different colors. In the wild they grow on trees and love high humidity climate. This tends to be hard to replicate for me since Tucson Arizona comes with 0 humidity climate except for the Monsoon Season. Sadly, these have been the victim of my experiments since they are cheap and easy to obtain. 

Intergeneric Orchid

 
I literally just got this plant today. It's a hybrid of several species of Orchids. Cochlioda, Miltonia, Odontoglossum, Oncidium and Ada which have all been mixed together to form this exotic beauty. I found it in Lowes and hope it to be a bit more hardy then the Moth Orchids. 


No comments:

Post a Comment